Saturday, August 10, 2013

Twonky Beam App iOS and Android

Wow what a title for an app, but the app is very good.  My cable provider Aliant Television in Atlantic Canada lets me use this app, but I am sure it is available with other providers.

Here is how it works, you download the app from the iOS App Store or Google Play, both are free Apps.  You put the app on your device and you have to sync it up with your TV.  Now this is the part that may cause you grief as the first time I tried it, I was unsuccessful in pairing the device to my TV. When you are successful you can open your browser and go to youtube.com and start a video on your device and then press the beam button and it will then "beam" the show to your television.  This works the same idea as AirPlay but you do not require an Apple TV.  The beam app will find all available devices on your network.  For me it found both cable boxes, 2 Apple TVs and my Roku box, so I am able to beam the signal over to any of these devices.  If you have an Apple TV it really doesn't make sense to do it this way since you already have AirPlay.

Here is the way to sync your device to your television, I am sure it is the same set up with your cable provider.  I do believe your cable provider has to be on the Fibre Network.  Setting up the Beam App


Now for me, I have loads of media on my Macintosh Computer using the free program Plex Media Server, it is available on Windows, Mac and Linux.  Once you open the Beam App on your device and I am assuming you have your device already synced you can either go to the browser and put in the link you want to beam or you can go to the Plex Media and beam those files to your TV.  Get Plex

Now if you have Netflix on your device you will not be able to beam this over as you have to go to the beam app itself.  I have tried entering Netflix in the browser and then stream a show but there is no option to beam it over at this time.  For Netflix I suggest you buy a smart TV or an Apple TV box or a Roku Box.

I hope it works for you, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a Samsung 3 with 4.3 jelly bean and have fibre op tv but the video from two my beam said no device any ideas

Unknown said...

This is great news.
Looking for an all in one solution to watch live HD TV? Look no further, XBMC TV Box is your all in one HD media device to watch live streaming and much more. You can enjoy live TV through internet on your television.